Cass County Memorial Home

Cass County Memorial Home - Photo by Judi Barr

Photo by Judi Barr

Welcome to the Cass County Visitors Bureau's Pop-Up Art & History Trail. Click play to begin.

Cass County Memorial Home

706 E. Market St.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Kendrick-Baldwin House is said to have been a copy of a house on the Hudson River called 'The Castle."

It was built in 1860 by George Bevan, an early Logansport carpenter, for Stuart B. Kendrick, a New York banker who came to Logansport in the 1850s to establish a bank.  The bank failed in 1865 and the house was sold to a Presbyterian academy for use as a school. In 1875, it became a boarding house.

Daniel Pratt Baldwin purchased the house in the late 1870s.  A successful Logansport attorney and nephew of US Senator Daniel D. Pratt, also opened a bank and purchased the controlling interest in the Logansport Daily & Weekly Journal. From 1880 to 1882, Baldwin served as State Attorney General.

Baldwin was a close friend of the New York founder of the Chatauqua movement and maintained a cottage and was frequently on the lecture program in Chatauqua, NY. He served as a trustee of Wabash College from 1900 to 1904 and lived in the house on Market Street until his death in 1908. His niece maintained the house until it was sold in 1920 to Cass County Post 60 of the American Legion.

In 1920, a new Indiana law allowed counties to appropriate money for the construction of buildings dedicated to those who fought in World War I.  The inscription over the door of the 1922 brick addition reads "War Veterans Memorial Home."

Most of the home's more ornate features were removed during the renovations between 1920 and 1922.

Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis spoke at the building's dedication in 1922 and well-known attorney Frank McHale, a local philanthropist who contributed the funds that created and endowed McHale Auditorium (now McHale Performing Arts Center) served as president of the Board of Trustees.

The first floor includes a reception room, two oak-paneled lounges, an office and a kitchen, with second floor rooms converted to meeting rooms.  The lower level of the addition is a basement that was used as a gymnasium.

Over the years, the Cass County Memorial Home has hosted many weddings and community events, including the "Teen Canteen."

In 2016 the Cass County Memorial Home entered a new chapter, when the City and County agreed to jointly “maintain and improve” the war memorial.

Two pieces of public art are displayed by the Cass County Memorial Center's neighbor to the east, Logansport Savings Bank: "Golden Years" on Market Street and a stained glass sculpture on Broadway. Logansport Savings Bank has been a long-time supporter of "Art on the Avenue," a day-long celebration of the arts held by the Cass County Arts Alliance in September.

The Pop Up Art and History Trail is presented by the Cass County Visitors Bureau in partnership with Logan's Landing, the Cass County Historical Society, the City of Logansport and Cass County Communication Network (published by Existential Media LLC) as a way to encourage residents and visitors to learn more about our community's history and local attractions.

The Pop Up Art and History trail was funded through a Quick-Impact Placebased Grant from the Indiana Office of Tourism Development and the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs.